Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Still smarting from a jihadi attack that killed 21 foreign tourists last month, Tunisia is hoping to save the summer season with new security measures and an ad campaign touting its safety as a destination, but industry leaders are glum.Tourism, which accounts for 7 percent of the country's economy, was already suffering from the fallout of Tunisia's 2011 revolution, when gunmen attacked the capital's Bardo National Museum on March 18, killing tourists from around Europe and further afield, as well as a policeman.Radhouane Ben Salah, president of the Tunisian Hotel Federation, said that "it's difficult to be optimistic for the tourist season, but we will try to save the situation somewhat.Former colonial power France is the No. 1 source of Tunisia's visitors, and its National Union of Travel Agencies says bookings are off by 60 percent since the museum attack compared with a year earlier.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE