SARAJEVO: A radical Muslim facing terrorism charges over an attack last year on the US embassy in Bosnia said his act was a response to the "American combat against Islam", a video released at the trial Tuesday showed.
"I attack the Americans who have launched a combat against Islam and Muslims throughout the world," the main suspect Mevlid Jasarevic said in the video recorded before the October 2011 attack.
The video was broadcast by the prosecution at the hearing before a Sarajevo court.
"I warn the Muslims of Bosnia. They should wake up, be prudent and find again their faith in Allah," Jasarevic said in the video message.
Bosnian Muslims, who make up 40 percent of the Balkan country's 3.8 million inhabitants, mostly practice a moderate Islam.
Jasarevic also blamed Germany for having sent troops to Afghanistan and announced a "new kind of war" against it.
"This war will get into your homes. Food and water will be poisoned... if you do not withdraw from Afghanistan within a month," he said, filmed sitting against a wall between two automatic rifles.
Jasarevic asked his mother to forgive him if he was to kill Muslims in the attack he had planned to organise.
"Do not be sad if your son kills a Muslim who defends the American embassy. The one who defends miscreants is a miscreant himself," he said in the video.
Jasarevic, a Serbian citizen of Muslim origin who had joined Islamists in Bosnia, was not present in the courtroom during the hearing, as he refused to stand up when the three judges entered the courtroom, his lawyer said.
He is accused of opening fire on the embassy with an automatic weapon. Another two co-defendants, Emrah Fojnica and Munib Ahmetspahic, are charged with assisting him prepare the October 28 attack and later covering up evidence, including weapons.
One police officer was injured in the attack.