BEIRUT

World

Nine more killed in northeast India, 170,000 displaced

Villagers flee their homes at Dujabari village in Kokrajhar district, about 230 kms from Guwahati, the capital city of the northeastern state of Assam on July 24, 2012. New clashes took the death toll from ethnic violence in India's remote northeast to 22 on Tuesday despite an official curfew backed by shoot-on-sight orders, police said. AFP PHOTO

GUWAHATI, India: Nine people were killed overnight in clashes between ethnic groups in India's northeast, officials said Wednesday, as the death toll reached 35 with 170,000 villagers displaced by the unrest.

"The situation is tense and we are getting additional paramilitary troopers," Assam police chief J.N. Choudhury told reporters, adding that the bodies of nine people killed overnight had been found on Wednesday morning.

Hagrama Mohilary, chief of the Bodoland Territorial Council, a local government body, told AFP by telephone that "35 people have been killed and an estimated 170,000 are sheltered in government-run relief camps".

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here