Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
WEDNESDAY, 16 APR 2014
04:13 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
23 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
International
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Serial killer specialists hunt French soldier scooter assassin
France's Defence Minister Gerard Longuet (R), speaks with soldiers from the 17st Marine Infantry Parachute Regiment. (AFP PHOTO / ERIC CABANIS)
France's Defence Minister Gerard Longuet (R), speaks with soldiers from the 17st Marine Infantry Parachute Regiment. (AFP PHOTO / ERIC CABANIS)
A+ A-

MONTAUBAN, France: France Friday banned soldiers stationed in the southwest from wearing uniform outside barracks after three paratroopers were shot dead in twin cold-blooded attacks.

“Security advice has been given, particularly at the entrances of military bases,” an army spokesman told AFP, adding that soldiers “have notably been asked not to wear their uniform outside barracks.”

The increased security measures apply to a whole swathe of the southwest, including Toulouse, Montauban, Pamiers and Tarbes, towns and cities that are home to most of France’s elite airborne units.

Police broadened the investigation to include counterterrorism investigators specialists in serial killers, officials said.

The announcement came as police hunted a black-clad gunman who Thursday calmly shot three soldiers on a shopping street in garrison town Montauban, taking the time to turn one over to finish him off at close range.

Two of the victims – parachute sappers aged 26 and 24 – died on the spot and a third 28 year old from the same regiment was in critical condition following the attack.

The soldiers were killed opposite their barracks, on a street named after the renowned 1st Shock Battalion. Their unit, the 17th Parachute Engineering Regiment, served in Afghanistan.

The attack followed a similar killing of a soldier from another airborne regiment four days earlier in Toulouse, a city 46 km south of Montauban.

The 30-year-old NCO from the 1st Parachute Logistics Regiment who was killed in the first attack was off duty and not in uniform when he was murdered, but he too was the victim of a killer on a scooter or motorbike.

Interior Minister Claude Gueant Friday confirmed that the same caliber weapon had been used in both attacks, amid speculation that the killings may have been tied to the deployment of French troops in Afghanistan.

“The inquiry will establish if the same weapon was used or not. Right now, I can’t say. I think that we will know during the day,” Gueant said. “It’s the same caliber but not necessarily the same weapon.”

A source close to the investigation told AFP there were obvious similarities between the two attacks, including the fact that those killed were all of Arab origin, but that it was too early to make any links.

“Three paratroopers have been killed, using similar methods, using a weapon of the same caliber, and all three were of North African origin,” the source said. The wounded soldier was of Caribbean origin, the source added.

Foreign Minister Alain Juppe slammed what he said was a “cowardly and unspeakable murder.”

“For now there is no proof or clue” of a link between the killings and the presence of French troops in Afghanistan, Juppe said.

“Let’s not start to speculate about possible motives,” he said, with local officials in shock over the killings.

Thursday’s attack saw the killer, clad in a black motorcycle outfit and a helmet with a visor, dismount from a scooter and open fire on the three soldiers as they queued at a cash machine.

Local baker Pascal Paga said he was sure that the soldiers were deliberately targeted.

“There was an elderly person waiting behind the soldiers to withdraw money. The killer pushed him to one side to shoot them,” he said.

According to other witnesses the killer had time to turn over one of the wounded men who was trying to crawl away and fire three more shots into him before getting back on his scooter and making his escape.

“They risked their lives over there and their families must have breathed a sigh of relief when they came back to France,” said Pascal Combedazou, who works at a butcher’s near the site of the shooting.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on March 17, 2012, on page 10.
Home International
 
     
 
asssassin / Fra / paratroopers / scooter / France
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Tuesday April 15, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
The presidential chess game has begun
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
China moves to the scary side of its boom
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS