KANO, Nigeria: A wave of attacks by suspected Boko Haram Islamists in northeastern Nigeria has killed at least 23 people and destroyed several buildings, a hospital official and residents said Saturday.
A nurse at the Potiskum general hospital spoke of 20 bodies being brought to the morgue, while residents said three bodies were buried by their families following explosions and shootings in the restive city on Thursday.
"We now have a total of 20 bodies brought in yesterday from the attacks of the previous night. Initially 11 bodies were brought and nine more were received later," a nurse who asked not to be named told AFP.
"Most of them have gunshot wounds but some had their throat slit. The bodies included that of a police sergeant and a prison warder," he said.
Residents said the toll could be higher as some relations had taken some bodies from the streets for burial.
"I participated in the burial of three residents who were killed in the attacks. I was at their separate burials yesterday. These are the ones I know. There could be several others," resident Hamisu Nababa told AFP.
Explosions and gunfire shook the northeastern city Thursday, with residents reporting that several schools and a government building were burnt.
A military source said some buildings had been destroyed by homemade bombs and a security checkpoint was attacked in the latest deadly incident to hit the city, a Boko Haram hotbed.