BEIRUT

World

Two American troops killed in apparent Afghan insider attack

A large group of Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies salute during planeside honors for US Army Ranger Sgt. Thomas R. MacPherson at Joint Forces Training Base on October 25, 2012. (Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images/AFP)

KABUL: A man in an Afghan police uniform shot and killed two American service members Thursday, the U.S. military said, in what appeared to be the latest in a rash of attacks on international forces by their Afghan partners.

The so-called insider attacks have stretched to the breaking point a partnership that U.S. and NATO officials consider a key part their exit plan – preparing the Afghans to take over responsibility for their country’s security in just over two years’ time. They have also cast major doubts over the program, where Afghans and international troops are supposed to work “shoulder to shoulder.”

In Thursday’s shooting, authorities had yet to determine if the attacker was an Afghan police officer or an insurgent who had donned a uniform to get close to the Americans, said Maj. Lori Hodge, a spokeswoman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan. The assailant escaped after killing the service members while they were out on a morning patrol in the southern Uruzgan province, she added.

It was the second suspected insider attack in two days. Wednesday, two British service members and an Afghan police officer were killed in an “exchange of gunfire,” the British Ministry of Defense said in a statement. The Afghan officer was not wearing his uniform and the statement said it was not clear who started shooting first.

Provincial government spokesman Abdullah Himmat said the assault happened near an Afghan police compound in Khas Uruzgan district.

Before Thursday’s assault, 53 foreigners attached to the U.S.-led coalition had been killed in insider attacks from Afghan soldiers or police so far this year, according to the NATO military coalition.

The Taliban have said they are using the attacks as a specific strategy to drive a wedge between the international coalition and the Afghans. Wednesday, ahead of the Eid al-Adha holiday, they called for a boosting of such assaults.

“Increase your efforts to expand the area of infiltration in the ranks of the enemy,” Mullah Mohammad Omar urged in a statement. “Jihadist activities inside the circle of the state militias are the most effective stratagem.”

The majority of international combat troops are scheduled to leave Afghanistan by end-2014, with trainers and advisers expected to remain longer. But the spate of insider attacks has further undermined public support for the 11-year war in NATO countries and increased calls in many countries for earlier withdrawals.

The attacks have not been limited to members of the NATO-led international coalition. More than 50 Afghan members of the government’s security forces also have died in attacks by their own colleagues.

No other troops were wounded in the attack Thursday, Hodge said. A statement from the U.S. force in Afghanistan says an investigation is under way.

Separately, officials said Thursday a senior Taliban commander and 24 of his fighters were killed in a battle with Afghan security forces in a northern village that left five police dead. The commander of the attack was the Taliban shadow governor for the province of Faryab where the gunfight took place Wednesday, according to officials.

“The brutal enemies of Afghanistan attacked a village bazaar. They killed five local police,” Abdul-Satar Barez, the Faryab deputy governor, told AFP.

“When we received reports about the incident we sent reinforcements. Twenty-five Taliban including Mullah Yaar Mohammad, their shadow governor for Faryab, were killed,” Barez said.

Barez added that the death of the Taliban shadow governor had dealt the insurgents a major blow.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on October 26, 2012, on page 10.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here