BEIRUT

World

Libya identifies 50 involved in U.S. attack: official

TRIPOLI: Libyan authorities have identified 50 people who were involved in the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi in which the ambassador and three other Americans were killed, a security official said Saturday.

U.S. ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three others died when gunmen attacked the consulate and a safe house refuge in the eastern city Tuesday night. The attackers were part of a crowd blaming America for a film they said insulted the Prophet Mohammad.

So far four people have been arrested and are being questioned, Libyan officials have said.

"We know of 50 people who were involved in the attack, we have names and we know who they are, but there could be more," Abdel-Monem Al-Hurr, spokesman for Libya's Supreme Security Committee, said.

"Four have been arrested. Some of the others may have escaped via Benghazi airport, maybe to Egypt, but this [is] not confirmed. We have given their names to all of the Libyan border entry points."

A spokesman for President Barack Obama said on Friday officials had no evidence the attack was pre-planned, an assertion which has added to confusion over the incident.

Immediately after the attack, U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, were quoted widely in the media saying they believed the attack was well-planned and organized.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here