BEIRUT

World

Genital-cooking Japan man handed to prosecutors

Passers-by stand outside a brokerage in Tokyo on September 7, 2012. (REUTERS/Issei Kato)

TOKYO: A man who admits cooking and serving his own severed genitals to paying diners in Japan has been handed over to prosecutors on an allegation of indecent exposure, Tokyo police said Tuesday.

Criminal papers against the 23-year-old man and three other people who helped organise the event were sent to the Tokyo district public prosecutors' office, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) said, without naming them.

But police did not question the dishing out of the genitals, possibly because there is no law against cannibalism in Japan.

The man had earlier identified himself as Mao Sugiyama and an "asexual" illustrator.

In an email to AFP in May, he confirmed the event had taken place and said it was organised to raise awareness about "sexual minorities, x-gender, asexual people".

An MPD spokeswoman said that the four people conspired to "openly display the (illustrator's) severed male genitals to the assembled 71 guests" at a music club from 7 pm to 10 pm on May 13.

"Every one of them has admitted that they did it," she said.

If convicted of indecent exposure, a crime known as the display of obscene objects in Japanese, they can be jailed up to two years and/or fined up to 2.5 million yen (32,000 dollars) each.

In tweets on May 18, the artist said steps were taken so his act met all relevant laws, including a ban on organ sales, processing of medical waste and even food sanitation requirements.

Sugiyama said his penis and testicles had been surgically removed by a physician in March and certified free of infections. They were kept frozen for two months before the event in Suginami, a residential area in western Tokyo.

Diners each paid 20,000 yen ($250) for a portion.

The police probe followed a complaint from the mayor of Suginami.

"Many residents of Suginami and elsewhere have expressed a sense of discomfort and feeling of apprehension over this," Mayor Ryo Tanaka said in a statement.

 

Recommended

Related Articles

Entities

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here