Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
WEDNESDAY, 16 APR 2014
04:09 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
23 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
International
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
None hurt in Belfast bomb but device could have killed
Reuters
An armed policeman speaks to a member of the public near the scene of an explosion in Belfast's Cathedral Quarter, December 13, 2013. REUTERS/Stringer
An armed policeman speaks to a member of the public near the scene of an explosion in Belfast's Cathedral Quarter, December 13, 2013. REUTERS/Stringer
A+ A-

LONDON: A bomb exploded close to a busy restaurant in Belfast on Friday night as police were clearing people from the area, leaving no one hurt, the Police Service of Northern Ireland said.

The explosion took place just before 7pm (1900 GMT) in the city's Cathedral Quarter which was thronged with Christmas shoppers and people enjoying an evening out.

Police said the device "could have killed or maimed anyone nearby" and about 1,000 people were affected by the evacuation and cordoning off of the area.

Police gave no immediate indication of who could have been behind the attack.

Northern Ireland endured decades of so-called "Troubles" when armed groups seeking unification with the Republic of Ireland and rival groups determined to keep Northern Ireland within the United Kingdom both waged violent campaigns.

The Troubles largely came to an end with the Good Friday Agreement signed in 1998, but Northern Ireland is still plagued by occasional outbreaks of sectarian unrest and by attacks by small dissident groups who have not accepted the peace deal.

A warning had been given in a telephone call to a newspaper but the unknown caller said the device had been left at a hotel when it was actually left on the footpath adjacent to the front of a busy restaurant, police said.

"This was an attack on the people of Belfast going about their normal lives on a busy night for socialising in the city. This attack ruined the night out for these people," Chief Superintendent Alan McCrum said in a statement.

"Those who carried out this attack have nothing to offer except disruption and destruction."

In London, Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers called the attack "deplorable" and said a small minority that wanted to drain the economic life from Belfast would not succeed.

"On one of the busiest nights of the year with people enjoying the festivities ahead of Christmas, as well as those in the final stages of Christmas shopping, it shows that these terrorists are stooping to a new low," she said in a statement.

 
Home International
 
     
 
Nothern Ireland
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Tuesday April 15, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
The presidential chess game has begun
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
China moves to the scary side of its boom
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS