Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
MONDAY, 21 APR 2014
03:17 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
21 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
International
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Philippine rebels stage attack just before Christmas truce
Agence France Presse
Children hold plates on top of their heads against rainfall in Leyte province, central Philippines December 24, 2013.     REUTERS/Romeo Ranoco
Children hold plates on top of their heads against rainfall in Leyte province, central Philippines December 24, 2013. REUTERS/Romeo Ranoco
A+ A-

MANILA: Communist insurgents in the southern Philippines torched three taxis barely an hour before their 48-hour Christmas truce took effect, police said Tuesday.

New People's Army (NPA) guerrillas burned the three cabs of Holiday Taxi company in the city of Panabo late Monday, about an hour before midnight when their truce started, said regional police spokesman Chief Inspector Jed Clamor.

"This was planned. They hired the three taxis in different areas, had them go to Panabo and then they pointed guns at the drivers and commandeered the taxis," before burning them, he said.

He said the 10 gunmen identified themselves to the drivers as members of the NPA.

Police suspect the incident was part of an extortion attempt against the taxi company.

The NPA, which is active in the hinterlands of the Philippine archipelago, has long resorted to extorting money from rural businesses to raise funds.

The Communist Party of the Philippines, which controls the 4,000-strong NPA, had earlier declared a 48-hour Christmas truce from December 24 as well as another 48-hour ceasefire from New Year's Eve.

President Benigno Aquino had declared his own unilateral truce with the NPA from December 21 to January 15.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the government peace negotiating panel called on the communists "to be faithful to the spirit and letter of the ceasefire that they have declared and to respect the prolonged ceasefire declared by our government".

The government has repeatedly called ceasefires with the communist rebels over the Christmas season, one of the most celebrated events in the largely-Roman Catholic nation.

Aquino had been aiming to end the leftist rebellion before he leaves office in 2016, but the government said in April that peace talks had collapsed.

The fighting has claimed 30,000 lives since 1969 according to the government tally.

 
Home International
 
     
 
Philippines
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Monday April 21, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Why Israeli-Palestinian talks fail
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS