Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
FRIDAY, 25 APR 2014
08:10 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
International
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
At least 40 civilians killed in attack in east DR Congo: NGO
Agence France Presse
A young man wounded by passing Chadian troops lies beside a Republic of Congo police vehicle, during a protest outside Mpoko Airport in Bangui, Central African Republic, Monday, Dec. 23, 2013. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell)
A young man wounded by passing Chadian troops lies beside a Republic of Congo police vehicle, during a protest outside Mpoko Airport in Bangui, Central African Republic, Monday, Dec. 23, 2013. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell)
A+ A-

INSHASA: At least 40 civilians have been killed in an attack on a village in the restive east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, a non-governmental organisation said on Thursday.

"Up to this morning we have found more than 40 bodies, all of them civilians, in the latrines," Teddy Kataliko, the head of civil society in the Beni region where the attack took place on Wednesday, told AFP.

"Teams from the Red Cross and the police are searching to see if they find other victims." 

Kataliko said "dozens" of people were left seriously wounded by the attack, which has been blamed on Ugandan rebels.

The attack took place in the town of Kamango before dawn, with the civil society blaming it on the Islamist Ugandan rebel group ADF-Nalu, one of the oldest but least-known armed groups operating in the mineral-rich DR Congo. 

The UN's special force in DR Congo used helicopters on Wednesday to fire on the rebels and help government troops retake Kamango after the attack.

ADF-Nalu stands for Allied Democratic Forces-National Army for the Liberation of Uganda and is considered the only Islamist organisation in the region.

In July the Congolese army battled the ADF-Nalu rebels to take control of the Kamango region, but the fighting had sent tens of thousands of people fleeing for safety in neighbouring Uganda.

MONUSCO, the United Nations' thousands-strong force in DR Congo, "strongly" condemned the attacks and said that "it will be using all its aerial and ground assets available to protect the civilians".

It would also "reinforce its presence in the area" in order to prevent ADF-Nalu fighters from reaching other towns.

"The mission is determined to fulfill its mandate of tracking down and neutralising all armed groups elements that spread fear and desolation among innocent civilians," it said in a statement published Thursday.

MONUSCO includes a 3,000-strong intervention brigade specially authorised to go after armed groups ravaging the country. There are another 17,000 peacekeepers mobilised in the overall mission.

The mission helped bring down the M23 rebel movement last month, which was suspected of receiving support from Rwanda and Uganda, something both countries deny.

 
Home International
 
     
 
Republic of Congo
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Thursday April 24, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
For Christians, blessed are the dividers
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
An Iran deal is close, but we’re not there yet
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS