BEIRUT

World

Schools in Nigerian state ordered to close to avoid attacks

File - Children walking outside a charred house in the remote northeast town of Baga, April 21, 2013. (AFP PHOTO / STR)

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria: The governor of Nigeria’s northeast Yobe state is ordering all schools closed to avoid attacks by Islamic militants who have killed dozens of students and teachers. The U.N. children’s agency, meanwhile, said Monday that 48 students and seven teachers have been slain since June in northeast Nigeria. “There can be no justification for the deliberate targeting of children and those looking after them,” said UNICEF Regional Director Manuel Fontaine.

Gov. Ibrahim Gaidam issued the order after visiting students with burn and gunshot wounds from Saturday’s attack on a boarding school outside Potiskum. Extremists set a dormitory ablaze, burning some students alive. At least 29 students and one teacher were killed.

Last month Islamic fighters attacked at least two schools, killing 16 students and two teachers.

Gaidam said such attacks could be averted if the military would resume cell phone service cut to three northeastern states since the government declared a state of emergency May 14. He said residents could have alerted the military by cell phone.

Authorities have blamed the spate of recent attacks on Boko Haram, a terrorist group whose name means “Western education is sacrilege.” The group and its offshoots have killed more than 1,600 civilians in a series of suicide bombings and other attacks since 2010, according to an AP count.

The group’s stronghold is Maiduguri, the capital of neighboring Borno state, which is 230 kilometers from Yobe. It is also believed to have a strong network in Adamawa state, prompting President Goodluck Jonathan to deploy thousands of troops to regain control of the region.

The ongoing violence has become the biggest security threat in years to Africa’s biggest oil producer and has drawn criticism of Jonathan’s administration, who many Nigerians believe did not respond quickly to the growing threat of terrorism in the country.

Soldiers say they have killed and arrested hundreds of fighters. But the crackdown, including attacks with fighter jets and helicopter gunships on militant camps, appears to have driven the extremists into rocky mountains with caves, and shifted their focus to schools and markets.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on July 09, 2013, on page 11.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here