Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
WEDNESDAY, 16 APR 2014
10:02 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
International
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Nigeria military dismisses Boko Haram 'propaganda'
Agence France Presse
Nigerian director of defence information Brigadier-General Chris Olukolade speaks about the activities of the army's special operations Joint Task Force in three states where a state of emergency was declared by the Nigerian President, during an interview in Abuja, on May 30, 2013. The leader of Islamist extremist group Boko Haram claims in a video obtained by AFP on May 28 that Nigerian soldiers have retreated during an ongoing military offensive while insurgents have sustained little damage. The video marks the first public comments from Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau since the start of a sweeping offensive by the Nigerian army on May 15 and also includes a call for foreign Islamists to join the fight in Nigeria. AFP PHOTO / PIUS UTOMI EKPEI
Nigerian director of defence information Brigadier-General Chris Olukolade speaks about the activities of the army's special operations Joint Task Force in three states where a state of emergency was declared by the Nigerian President, during an interview in Abuja, on May 30, 2013. The leader of Islamist extremist group Boko Haram claims in a video obtained by AFP on May 28 that Nigerian soldiers have retreated during an ongoing military offensive while insurgents have sustained little damage. T
A+ A-

ABUJA: Nigeria's military on Thursday dismissed as "empty propaganda" claims by Boko Haram's leader that soldiers have retreated during an ongoing offensive, insisting the campaign has heavily damaged the Islamist insurgents.

In a video obtained by AFP on Tuesday, Boko Haram chief Abubakar Shekau said soldiers have at times "turned and ran" when facing Islamist fighters and rejected military boasting about the success of the operation.

"We consider it as empty propoganda," defence spokesman Brigadier General Chris Olukolade said of the video.

"To the best of our understanding, at the moment (the insurgents) are in disarray. They are on the run and so many of them have been captured," he told AFP.

He declined to provide figures of those captured or killed in the operation launched on May 15 after President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in three northeastern states considered Boko Haram strongholds.

Shekau's whereabouts, which cannot be determined in the video, remain unknown.

"I don't know his location but I know that intelligence is trailing him," Olukolade said.

Shekau called on like-minded Islamists in countries including Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq to join the fight to create an Islamic state in Nigeria.

Olukolade suggested the plea for foreign assistance implied weakness.

"If they are still firmly on ground why does he need help?"

The United States and analysts have voiced concern over the prospect of widespread civilian casualties during the operation, with Nigeria's military having been accused of massive abuses in the past.

Olukolade told AFP he has seen no credible evidence of soldier misconduct in the offensive.

With the military having cut mobile phone service in much of the northeast and access to remote locations restricted, rivals claims about the conflict have been impossible to verify.

Olukolade said that air strikes used so far have primarily included covering fire for ground troops tasked with storming Boko Haram camps.

The military has claimed the destruction of several such camps, primarily in Borno state, Boko Haram's traditional base.

Boko Haram has waged its insurgency since 2009, with an estimated 3,600 lives lost, including killings by the security forces.

The group has pushed for the creation of an Islamic state in Africa's most populous nation and largest oil producer, though its demands have repeatedly shifted.

 
Home International
 
     
 
Nigeria
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Tuesday April 15, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
The presidential chess game has begun
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
China moves to the scary side of its boom
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS