Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Government forces launched the operation Friday to capture two top leaders of the Al-Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group blamed for beheadings and kidnappings, but failed to apprehend either man.Galvez said the last firefight between about 80 gunmen and soldiers ceased on Basilan, around 900 kilometres (560 miles) south of the Philippine capital Manila on Friday night, but the operation was ongoing.Captain Jefferson Mamauag, a local Philippine army spokesman, said seven Abu Sayyaf fighters had been killed, with authorities now searching for their burial sites.Two soldiers were shot dead and 28 others were wounded by grenade blasts, Mamauag added, correcting an earlier military report that put their casualties at two dead and 29 wounded.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE