BEIRUT

World

Central African Republic violence hits clinic, convoy

A MISCA soldier patrols, on April 27, 2014 in Bangui, after about 1.300 Muslims who were hiding in the PK12 district left in a convoy escorted by the Misca African force, to be relocated in the north of the country. AFP PHOTO / ISSOUF SANOGO

BANGUI: Dozens of armed Muslim rebels opened fire in a hospital in Central African Republic, killing at least 16 people, including three local health workers for Doctors Without Borders, officials said Monday.

In further violence, a convoy transporting more than 1,300 Muslims to safety in the country’s far north came under attack, leaving at least two people dead, according to a spokesman with the African peacekeeping mission in Central African Republic.

The weekend attack on the hospital was the first time the international aid group has lost staff members in this country since sectarian violence began in December. The group, also known as Medecins Sans Frontieres or MSF, is the only group working in much of the impoverished country and has kept up its efforts despite the fighting.

The massacre took place in Boguila, in the northwest near the border with Chad, where MSF has operated since 2006. The rebels assaulted the compound as health workers met with community leaders.

“While some of the gunmen robbed the MSF office at gunpoint and fired shots into the air, other armed men approached the meeting place where MSF staff and community members had gathered together on benches,” the group said Monday. “Unprovoked, the armed men started firing heavily into the crowd, leaving both dead and critically wounded.”

Earlier this month, almost 7,000 people fled into the countryside after a convoy came under attack in the area. As many as 40 people sought refuge at the MSF clinic at the time, the group said.

The group known as Seleka was forced from power in the capital back in January nearly a year after its fighters ousted the president of a decade.

Although ousted from Bangui, Seleka militants have been regrouping in the north and have staged a series of attacks on towns in recent weeks.

The Seleka forces, which include mercenaries from Chad and Sudan, were blamed for numerous atrocities against civilians during their violent 10-month rule. While their agenda was not religious in nature, the disproportionate violence carried out against Christians prompted a vicious backlash when Seleka lost control of the government. Christian militia fighters known as the anti-Balaka began launching attacks on Muslim civilians, carrying out massacres that prompted tens of thousands of Muslims to seek refuge in neighboring countries.

Some people were killed even while trying to flee.

Maj. Patrick Fidodugingo, spokesman for the Rwandan peacekeeping contingent, said Monday that grenades had been launched at the convoy that left Bangui Sunday with more than 1,300 Muslims aboard some 20 trucks.

The convoy is bound for two northern towns still inside Central African Republic, though suspected Christian militants launched grenades that killed two and left at least six wounded, he said. 

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Dozens of armed Muslim rebels opened fire in a hospital in Central African Republic, killing at least 16 people, including three local health workers for Doctors Without Borders, officials said Monday.

In further violence, a convoy transporting more than 1,300 Muslims to safety in the country's far north came under attack, leaving at least two people dead, according to a spokesman with the African peacekeeping mission in Central African Republic.

Earlier this month, almost 7,000 people fled into the countryside after a convoy came under attack in the area. As many as 40 people sought refuge at the MSF clinic at the time, the group said.

The convoy is bound for two northern towns still inside Central African Republic, though suspected Christian militants launched grenades that killed two and left at least six wounded, he said.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here