Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
SATURDAY, 19 APR 2014
02:27 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
International
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Killings still rock CAR two months after French intervention
Agence France Presse
A woman and a child sit on the grounds of a monastery sheltering internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the district of Boy Rabe in the capital Bangui February 4, 2014. (REUTERS/Siegfried Modola)
A woman and a child sit on the grounds of a monastery sheltering internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the district of Boy Rabe in the capital Bangui February 4, 2014. (REUTERS/Siegfried Modola)
A+ A-

BANGUI: Two months after French military intervention in the Central African Republic, French troops and African soldiers have largely disarmed Muslim ex-rebels in the capital, but major atrocities prevail.

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said Tuesday that “at the security level, there are signs of pacification. The African troops are gaining strength. European troops are going to join us.”

French chief of defense staff Admiral Edouard Guillaud has said in Bangui that “the violence has been partly halted” by the 1,600 French soldiers who deployed on Dec. 5 alongside the 5,500 troops of an African peacekeeping force (MISCA).

But the French and African troops operate largely in the capital, where the Red Cross last week reported finding 30 bodies in three days, while the Muslim-Christian bloodletting continues in the interior.

A priest in the town of Boda, 100 kilometers west of Bangui, Monday told AFP that his parish was sheltering 1,500 people after heavily armed Muslims killed 75 Christians.

In Bangui, foreign troops have largely neutralized the mainly Muslim fighters of the Seleka alliance that seized power in March 2013 and launched a campaign of killings, torture, rape and looting against the Christian majority.

Asked Monday whether the time had come to also round up and confine the Christian vigilante groups formed in response to the Seleka attacks, Guillaud replied that “in Bangui, it’s not only Muslim civilians who are killed. There are atrocities by both sides.”

Little by little, MISCA contingents, backed by French troops, have started to move into dangerous areas where Christian “anti-balaka” (anti-machete) militia target the remaining Muslim population, AFP reporters have seen.

But the foreign military presence has yet to stop killings, as in the capital’s Miskine district where Burundian soldiers have a hard time preventing daily attacks on the last Muslims to stay in their houses and shops, unwilling to join hundreds of thousands of displaced people.

Months of a reign of terror by Seleka forces has unleashed unprecedented animosity between the impoverished country’s religious communities, leading the United Nations and the United States to warn that conditions are ripe for a potential genocide.

The main anti-balaka base known as “Boeing,” on the edge of a displaced people’s camp housing 100,000 people near Bangui airport, is rife with weapons, according to Human Rights Watch.

“They have a thousand grenades, loads of rifles,” HRW’s Peter Bouckaert said.

Gen. Francesco Soriano, commander of France’s Operation Sangaris, recently told AFP that his men had seized more than 4,000 knives, clubs and machetes and “hundreds of rifles” from both former Seleka fighters and the Christian vigilantes. The general denied taking sides.

“In Boali [90 kilometers north of Bangui], we arrived at the height of a massacre and we have stayed there since,” he said. French troops arrived in mid-January and saved hundreds of Muslims for anti-balaka forces.

French Minister for Relations with Parliament Alain Vidalies said in Paris Tuesday that lawmakers will vote on Feb. 26 on prolonging the mandate of Operation Sangaris beyond the four months stipulated by the constitution.

Between now and the vote, a parliamentary delegation will visit the CAR to assess the situation on the ground, Vidalies said, amid growing opposition fears that the soldiers may become bogged down.

But in the meantime, most of the country remains out of the control of international forces.

At Sibut (180 kilometers north of Bangui), ex-Seleka forces agreed to be placed in barracks when French and African troops arrived, but instead the former rebels took advantage of a tremendous storm overnight Saturday to flee.

Paris now appears to be counting on a U.N. mission. “There is a peacekeeping operation in prospect. Probably as of the summer, the U.N. will take up the baton,” with 10,000 soldiers, according to Fabius.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on February 05, 2014, on page 10.
Home International
 
     
 
Central African Republic / France
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
Two months after French military intervention in the Central African Republic, French troops and African soldiers have largely disarmed Muslim ex-rebels in the capital, but major atrocities prevail.

The French and African troops operate largely in the capital, where the Red Cross last week reported finding 30 bodies in three days, while the Muslim-Christian bloodletting continues in the interior.

A priest in the town of Boda, 100 kilometers west of Bangui, Monday told AFP that his parish was sheltering 1,500 people after heavily armed Muslims killed 75 Christians.

French troops arrived in mid-January and saved hundreds of Muslims for anti-balaka forces.

At Sibut (180 kilometers north of Bangui), ex-Seleka forces agreed to be placed in barracks when French and African troops arrived, but instead the former rebels took advantage of a tremendous storm overnight Saturday to flee.
Related Articles
 
 
22 reported killed in clashes over C.African Republic town
 
 
U.N. accuses Chad troops of CAR killings
 
 
Central Africa clashes kill 30, 'mainly civilians': police
 
 
Chad withdraws all troops from Central Africa
 
 
Chadian soldiers kill eight Bangui residents: peacekeepers
Show More
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Friday April 18, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Why Israeli-Palestinian talks fail
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS