Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
FRIDAY, 18 APR 2014
01:38 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
21 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
International
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Red Cross warns over Boko Haram fall-out in Nigeria
Agence France Presse
Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima visits injured victims receiving treatment at a hospital following an attack in Kawuri January 28, 2014. REUTERS/Stringer
Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima visits injured victims receiving treatment at a hospital following an attack in Kawuri January 28, 2014. REUTERS/Stringer
A+ A-

LAGOS: Tens of thousands of people in Nigeria are missing out on vital services because of conflict, with the areas where Boko Haram operates worst affected, the Red Cross said on Thursday.

The ICRC said it had helped some 40,000 people hit by the Islamist insurgency in the northeast, by religious and ethnic tensions in central Nigeria, and by crime in the oil-rich southern Delta region.

The head of the humanitarian body's delegation in Nigeria, Zoran Jovanovic, said the problem was worst in the northeast, which has borne the brunt of Boko Haram violence and the military response.

"The availability of shelter, food, water, clothes and health services has worsened in that region," he said in an emailed statement.

According to the United Nations, as of last month nearly 12,500 Nigerians had fled east to neighbouring Cameroon and 8,000 north to Niger because of the continued violence.

The ICRC said it had been helping those who have stayed and since August last year, more than 18,000 people in Borno state had been given shelter and essentials.

About 45 percent of them were women, including many widowed and elderly, it added.

Assistance also included daily food rations, given that prices have rocketed because of the conflict and there are frequent shortages of essential items.

The Boko Haram insurgency, which began in 2009, is the country's most pressing security issue and last year saw three northeast states placed under emergency rule.

The Council on Foreign Relations this week said that 3,383 people had died in Boko Haram attacks since May 2011 when President Goodluck Jonathan took office.

The US thinktank said it uses the start of Jonathan's presidency because "it was an event that highlighted the increasing bifurcation of the country on regional and religious lines".

The ICRC, meanwhile said it had for the first time been granted access to people held in custody in military-run facilities in Borno.

The visits took place last month but no further details would be issued, it added.

Rights groups have criticised not only the mass detention of ordinary Nigerians suspected of Boko Haram links but also the conditions in which they were being held.

Human Rights Watch said in November last year that there were "credible" claims of torture and deaths in custody.

 
Home International
 
     
 
Nigeria
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
Tens of thousands of people in Nigeria are missing out on vital services because of conflict, with the areas where Boko Haram operates worst affected, the Red Cross said on Thursday.

The ICRC said it had been helping those who have stayed and since August last year, more than 18,000 people in Borno state had been given shelter and essentials.

The Boko Haram insurgency, which began in 2009, is the country's most pressing security issue and last year saw three northeast states placed under emergency rule.

The Council on Foreign Relations this week said that 3,383 people had died in Boko Haram attacks since May 2011 when President Goodluck Jonathan took office.
Related Articles
 
 
Police: Blast in Nigerian capital kills 71, wounds 124
 
 
Militants abduct 100 schoolgirls in Nigeria
 
 
15 civilians killed in Nigerian 'suicide attack': military
21 dead in attempted jail break: Nigerian secret police
 
 
115 Nigeria schoolgirls still missing after kidnap: principal
Show More
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Thursday April 17, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Putin will keep rolling, until Obama says no
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS