Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
MONDAY, 21 APR 2014
10:15 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
20 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
International
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Confirmed death toll climbs to 16 in Quebec fire
Associated Press
Firefighters dig at the site of the Residence du Havre in L'Isle Verte, Quebec, January 28, 2014.(REUTERS/Mathieu Belanger)
Firefighters dig at the site of the Residence du Havre in L'Isle Verte, Quebec, January 28, 2014.(REUTERS/Mathieu Belanger)
A+ A-

L'ISLE-VERTE, Quebec: Authorities say 16 people are now confirmed dead and 16 remain missing after the fire that ripped through a seniors' residence in Quebec last week.

Emergency workers continued to comb through the ice-covered rubble on the sixth day of the excruciating recovery effort.

Officials have used special machines that pump out hot air to melt thick ice coating the ruins. The work has been slow and painstaking, with workers being given periodic breaks as they brave bitterly cold temperatures and strong winds in L'Isle-Verte, a town 140 miles (225 kilometers) northeast of Quebec City.

Quebec provincial police spokeswoman Ann Mathieu said Tuesday about 50 people are combing the rubble of the building in teams.

Only three people have been formally identified by the coroner's office thus far.

 
Home International
 
     
 
Canada
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
Authorities say 16 people are now confirmed dead and 16 remain missing after the fire that ripped through a seniors' residence in Quebec last week.

Quebec provincial police spokeswoman Ann Mathieu said Tuesday about 50 people are combing the rubble of the building in teams.
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Saturday April 19, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Why Israeli-Palestinian talks fail
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS