BEIRUT

World

Italy has rescued more than 2,500 migrants since Thursday

Migrants wait aboard a navy ship before being disembarked in the Sicilian harbour of Augusta June 1, 2014. REUTERS/Antonio Parrinello

ROME: Italy has rescued more than 2,500 men, women and children from overcrowded boats in the Mediterranean Sea south of Sicily since early Thursday, the navy said, with good weather favoring departures from North Africa.

Italian navy and coast guard ships monitoring the waters off the Libyan and Tunisian coasts went to the aid of 17 different boats over the period, the navy said in a statement Friday morning, adding that rescue efforts were continuing.

One ship, the San Giorgio, took aboard 998 migrants, including 214 women and 157 children from five different vessels, the navy said.

“The improving weather and sea conditions have favored the departures,” the coast guard said in a separate statement.

Although the authorities gave no details about the nationalities of the migrants, they often include Syrians fleeing civil war and Eritreans evading military conscription.

Italy set up Europe’s biggest search and rescue mission – called Mare Nostrum or “Our Sea” – almost eight months ago after 366 migrants fleeing African countries drowned when their boat capsized a mile off Sicily.

The mission to patrol the waters between Italy and Africa to prevent further tragedies employs a drone, several helicopters and airplanes, dozens of coast guard vessels and five navy ships.

The number of boat migrants who have reached Italy this year has already topped the more than 40,000 who came during all of 2013. The pace of arrivals is on track to exceed the record of 62,000 set in 2011 during the Arab Spring uprisings.

Italy’s immigration centers are groaning under the influx and bureaucrats are struggling to process tens of thousands of requests to be hosted temporarily for humanitarian reasons or given asylum.

Italy has repeatedly asked for more European Union countries to join the effort to patrol one of the most popular migrant routes between Africa and Europe, but so far only Slovenia has chipped in, offering one ship for two months late last year.

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi last week urged the U.N. to intervene in Libya, where criminal gangs charge migrants more than $1,000 each for a spot on unsafe vessels, to try to limit the departures.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on June 07, 2014, on page 11.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Italy has rescued more than 2,500 men, women and children from overcrowded boats in the Mediterranean Sea south of Sicily since early Thursday, the navy said, with good weather favoring departures from North Africa.

One ship, the San Giorgio, took aboard 998 migrants, including 214 women and 157 children from five different vessels, the navy said.

The number of boat migrants who have reached Italy this year has already topped the more than 40,000 who came during all of 2013 .


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here