BEIRUT

World

NATO soldiers killed by friendly fire: Afghan officials

The June 9, 21014, attack brings to 36 the number of NATO soldiers killed so far in 2014 in Afghanistan, with eight service members killed in June. AFP PHOTO / WAKIL KOHSAR

KABUL: NATO Tuesday launched an investigation into the deaths of five soldiers in southern Afghanistan as local officials blamed a "friendly fire" error by a coalition airstrike.

The deaths in the restive province of Zabul were the worst single incident for NATO's International Security Assistance Force since five British soldiers were killed in a helicopter crash on April 26.

The most recent major "friendly fire" incident was in April when five Afghan soldiers were killed in an airstrike in the eastern province of Logar, provoking fury from the Afghan government.

"I can confirm that five foreign troops were killed as a result of their own bombardment in Arghandab district," Ghulam Sakhi Roghlewani, police chief of Zabul province, told AFP after Monday's deaths.

Mohsin Khan, spokesman for the Afghan army's 205 division, which is deployed in Zabul, also said it was a friendly fire incident, adding that one Afghan soldier was killed.

"Our forces were jointly engaged in fighting with militants, and foreign forces called in air support and they mistakenly bombed friendly positions," Khan said.

"I can confirm ISAF suffered casualties. We also lost one solider and one was wounded."

An ISAF spokesman declined to comment on reports that "friendly fire" was responsible.

"The incident is under investigation," he said.

"Five International Security Assistance Force service members died in southern Afghanistan yesterday," ISAF said in a brief statement.

"It is ISAF policy to defer casualty identification procedures to the relevant national authorities."

The U.S.-led force is winding down operations in Afghanistan after more than a decade of fighting Taliban insurgents.

All remaining 50,000 NATO combat troops are due to leave the country by the end of this year, though a small US deployment will remain until the end of 2016 if a long-delayed deal is signed between Washington and Kabul.

The south and east of Afghanistan are the most violent parts of the country as the Taliban wage a guerrilla war against the Kabul government and remaining NATO troops.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

NATO Tuesday launched an investigation into the deaths of five soldiers in southern Afghanistan as local officials blamed a "friendly fire" error by a coalition airstrike.

The deaths in the restive province of Zabul were the worst single incident for NATO's International Security Assistance Force since five British soldiers were killed in a helicopter crash on April 26 .

The most recent major "friendly fire" incident was in April when five Afghan soldiers were killed in an airstrike in the eastern province of Logar, provoking fury from the Afghan government.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here