BEIRUT

World

Prosecutors seek to arrest head of ferry company

A family member of the victims of the sunken ferry Sewol displays portraits of victims near the presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, May 9, 2014. Family members of the victims in the ferry sinking marched to the presidential Blue House in Seoul early Friday calling for a meeting with President Park Geun-hye but ended up sitting on streets near the presidential palace after police officers blocked them. Park's office said a senior presidential official plans to meet them later F

SEOUL: South Korean prosecutors are seeking to formally arrest the head of the company that owns a doomed ferry in part of their investigation into its sinking last month that left more than 300 people, mostly high school students, dead or missing, officials said Friday.

Prosecutors asked a court to issue an arrest warrant for Kim Han-sik, president of Chonghaejin Marine Co. Ltd, over allegations of cargo overloading, according to a judge at the court in the southern port city of Mokpo. He spoke on condition of anonymity citing department rules.

The Mokpo court subsequently quizzed Kim and was expected to decide whether to approve his arrest later Friday, court officials said.

Authorities believe improper stowage and overloading of cargo are one possible reason the ferry sank on April 16. Four employees at Chonghaejin Marine Co. Ltd, who handled cargo on the Sewol, have already been arrested, and Kim faced allegations that he was aware that the ferry exceeded its cargo limit but didn't do anything before it started it trip, senior prosecutor Yang Jung-jin said. Kim was detained on Thursday.

"I feel very sorry for the victims .... their family members. I committed a grave sin," Kim, wearing a cap and a mask, told reporters at a detention facility in Mokpo, according to South Korean TV footage. He declined to comment on questions over alleged cargo overloading.

More than three weeks after the sinking, 273 bodies have been retrieved but 31 others are still listed as missing. Searches have been hampered by strong currents, bad weather and floating debris inside the ship. A civilian diver fell unconscious while searching and died on Tuesday.

Relatives of the dead and missing passengers and many other South Koreans have been highly critical of the government's handling of the rescue effort, and the regulatory failures that may have allowed the disaster to happen.

Family members marched to the presidential Blue House in Seoul early Friday calling for a meeting with President Park Geun-hye but were blocked by police officers. The family members then sat on streets near the presidential palace after conveying to senior presidential officials their wishes for a meeting with Park. No violence was reported.

Park has apologized over the sinking at least three times but her apologies came during meetings with top officials, religious leaders or in a speech marking Buddha's Birthday holiday. Family members and critics say Park should deliver a special speech on the sinking to the whole nation.

All 15 surviving crew members involved in the ferry's navigation have been arrested, accused of negligence and failing to protect passengers. Besides possible freight problems, prosecutors say they are looking into other factors, such as the turn made during the time the ship began listing, ocean currents and modifications made to the ship.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Prosecutors asked a court to issue an arrest warrant for Kim Han-sik, president of Chonghaejin Marine Co. Ltd, over allegations of cargo overloading, according to a judge at the court in the southern port city of Mokpo.

The Mokpo court subsequently quizzed Kim and was expected to decide whether to approve his arrest later Friday, court officials said.

Four employees at Chonghaejin Marine Co. Ltd, who handled cargo on the Sewol, have already been arrested, and Kim faced allegations that he was aware that the ferry exceeded its cargo limit but didn't do anything before it started it trip, senior prosecutor Yang Jung-jin said.

More than three weeks after the sinking, 273 bodies have been retrieved but 31 others are still listed as missing.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here