BEIRUT

World

France offers China help with Boko Haram hostages

Nigeria's president Goodluck Jonathan (C) is escorted by French president Francois Hollande as he leaves following a summit on the threat from Islamist sect Boko Haram at the Elysee palace, on May 17, 2014 in Paris. (AFP PHOTO/ ALAIN JOCARD)

BEIJING: France's foreign minister offered China his country's help on Sunday in locating 10 workers feared kidnapped by Boko Haram militants, as African leaders joined forces to fight the terrorist group.

"We have already told our Chinese friends that we were at their disposal in helping them find their citizens," Laurent Fabius said on a visit to the Chinese capital, where he will meet Prime Minister Li Keqiang on Monday.

The Chinese road workers were apparently taken from their camp in a night-time attack in northern Cameroon on Friday night. They were likely taken back across the border into Nigeria, a police source said Sunday.

Fabius noted the attack took place as French President Francois Hollande convened heads of state to decide how to curb the havoc Boko Haram terrorists have wreaked in their base of Nigeria and in neighbouring countries.

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan and his counterparts from Benin, Chad, Cameroon and Niger approved an action plan on Saturday to combat the Islamist group blamed for 2,000 deaths this year as well as last month's abduction of more than 200 schoolgirls from northeastern Nigeria.

"We are here to declare war on Boko Haram," Cameroon President Paul Biya said.

The agreement involves the coordination of surveillance efforts aimed at finding the schoolgirls, and the sharing of intelligence and joint efforts to secure the porous borders in the region.

In the longer term, the countries agreed to forge a regional counter-terrorism strategy under the auspices of the existing but barely active Lake Chad Basin Commission, with technical expertise and training support from Britain, France, the European Union and the United States.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

France's foreign minister offered China his country's help on Sunday in locating 10 workers feared kidnapped by Boko Haram militants, as African leaders joined forces to fight the terrorist group.

"We have already told our Chinese friends that we were at their disposal in helping them find their citizens," Laurent Fabius said on a visit to the Chinese capital, where he will meet Prime Minister Li Keqiang on Monday.

The Chinese road workers were apparently taken from their camp in a night-time attack in northern Cameroon on Friday night.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here