BEIRUT

World

Around 300 killed in December 30 DR Congo clashes: rights group

  • File - Peacekeepers from the MONUSCO mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo patrolling the town of Kiwanja, a town controlled by the M23 rebels, some 70kms north of Goma, August 4, 2013.(AFP PHOTO / STEPHANIE AGLIETTI)

KINSHASA: More than 300 people, mostly civilians, were killed during clashes in the Democratic Republic of Congo on December 30 last year, the Paris-based International Federation for Human Rights said on Thursday.

"Some 250" civilians and six soldiers died in the Katanga province in the south-east of the country, and another 71 civilians were killed in Kinshasa, said Sylvain Lumu, general-secretary of the League of Electors, a local group who helped compile the report.

The attacks took place on December 30 which saw a wave of coordinated attacks across several cities.

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here