Armed policemen patrol a market, after attackers ploughed two vehicles into a market and threw explosives, killing at least 31 people, in Urumqi in northwest China's Xinjiang region, in Beijing on May 23, 2014. (AFP PHOTO/STR)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
China has launched a one-year crackdown to hunt down and punish terrorists in Xinjiang, state media said on Friday, after the the deadliest attack in years in the far western region with a large Muslim Uighur minority.Five suicide bombers carried out Thursday morning's attack which killed 31 people at a vegetable market, according to state media.Thursday's bombing was the second suicide attack in the capital in just over three weeks.At least 180 people have been killed in attacks across China over the past year.The Uighurs have long complained of official discrimination in favour of the Han people, China's majority ethnic group.A Han Chinese man, surnamed Zheng, said he had left the market 20 minutes before the attack occurred.Chinese police blamed the ETIM for the Urumqi train station attack last month, state news agency Xinhua said this week, the first time the separatists have been directly linked to the assault.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE