Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
THURSDAY, 24 APR 2014
04:07 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
18 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Naksa violence averted as protests remain calm
A+ A-
SIDON, Lebanon: Palestinians across Lebanon staged a strike Sunday to mark the 34th anniversary of the1967 war, while armed forces on both sides of the Israel-Lebanon border stepped up their security measures in anticipation of protests in the area.

In Ain al-Hilweh, Lebanon’s largest Palestinian refugee camp, the mood was calm and the anniversary was marked in silence, in stark contrast to what had been initially planned for the day.

Palestinian organizers had planned to march to Lebanon’s border with Israel, but last week the Lebanese Army announced the establishment of a “closed military zone” which would prevent protesters from reaching the border. The closure was meant to avoid a repeat of the events of the Nakba march on May 15, during which Israeli forces killed 11 protesters and wounded hundreds, as thousands marched toward the occupied Palestinian territories.

As a result of the army’s decision and after Palestinian refugees refused to hold the protest at a different location, the “preparatory committee of the return march” canceled Sunday’s rally.

Some residents of Ain al-Hilweh expressed disappointment at not being allowed to march to the Blue Line, while others preferred staying in Ain al-Hilweh out of respect for the decision by the Lebanese Army.

“My dad had promised to take me to the Palestinian border, but the plan was canceled … maybe next time I will get to see Palestine,” said 10-year-old Mohammad Zbeidat.

Early Sunday, the Lebanese Army and the U.N. Interim Forces in Lebanon began increasing their presence along the Blue Line near Kafarshouba, Berket al-Naqqar and Shebaa Farms.

On the other side of the border fence, the Israeli Army went on full alert as it deployed tanks, soldiers and border patrols in preparation for a possible confrontation with Palestinian protesters.

Another Palestinian, Mohammad Saalab said that he should been able to move to Palestine 50 years ago.

“This is what is stated in U.N. Security Council Resolution 194,” he said, “but who implements it?”

Adopted in 1948, Resolution 194 calls for the return of all willing Palestinian refugees to their homeland and for compensation to be paid for the property of those not wishing to return.

“There will come a day when we will go back to Palestine,” Saalab added.

A member of the Palestinian follow-up committee, Fouad Osman, said that the right of return deserves sacrifices and acts of martyrdom because it is a sacred right, and it should not be compromised in peace talks between Israeli and Palestinian authorities.

“We hoped that our Lebanese brothers would allow us to express our commitment to the right of return of Palestinian refugees by marching to south Lebanon along the Palestinian borders, even if we were going to lose men,” Osman told The Daily Star.

Despite the Palestinian committee’s decision to cancel Sunday’s march, more than 40 people gathered near the southern village of Adaysseh, waving Palestinian flags and chanting anti-Zionist slogans.

The Lebanese Army quicklycordoned off the area and called on the protesters not to approach the border fence.

Meanwhile, residents of the Burj al-Barajneh refugee camp in Beirut and Burj al-Shemali in Tyre burned tires, protesting that they were unable to march to the border.

For their part, residents and Palestinian factions in Nahr al-Bared held a gathering at al-Fardous hall in the refugee camp, marking the anniversary of the 1967 war in their own way.

Speaking at the gathering, Secretary of the Union of Committees for the right of return of Nahr al-Bared, Abdallah Zib, called on the international community to pressure Israel to end its occupation of Arab and Palestinian lands occupied during the 1967 war.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on June 06, 2011, on page 3.
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
More from
Mohammed Zaatari
 
 
Tripoli security plan sparks unrest, rockets strike Bekaa towns
 
 
Wanted Islamist escapes assassination in Sidon
 
 
Machnouk: Palestinians must give up arms
 
 
Sidon vendors mutilate themselves in protest
 
 
Army arrests key Al-Qaeda agent
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Wednesday, April 23, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
For Christians, blessed are the dividers
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
An Iran deal is close, but we’re not there yet
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS