BEIRUT: Middle East Airlines chairman Mohammad Hout denied Sunday reports that his company had sent a private jet to evacuate Lebanese nationals from Turkey.
“Such reports are wrong, Middle East Airlines is maintaining their regular flights daily to Istanbul and the Turkish coast,” said Hout.
“These trips are routine and no special planes were sent to Turkey,” he added.
Some local media reported a private MEA jet had been sent to Turkey to evacuate Lebanese nationals after the kidnapping of two Turkish Airlines crew members in Lebanon Friday.
Reports said that the Lebanese nationals were being harassed in Turkey after the Friday kidnapping of the Turkish Airlines pilots.
Also Sunday, caretaker Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour denied reports that the Lebanese Embassy in Turkey had sent out text messages to Lebanese asking them to leave Turkey as soon as possible.
“Such reports are totally false and the Lebanese Ambassador in Turkey, Mansour Abdallah, has denied that the embassy had sent any message of the sort to any Lebanese in Turkey,” Mansour said.
Mansour said that the reports would only confuse the Lebanese and urged the media to verify the reports they publish.