BEIRUT: A Lebanese judge ruled out Monday the possibility that a suicide bomber may have been behind last week’s deadly car bombing in the southern suburbs of Beirut, as the overall bombing death toll rose to 30.
Judge Sami Sader said DNA testing of the remains of the victims found in Thursday’s blast in the pro-Hezbollah Ruwaiss neighborhood had all been positively identified, according to a judicial source.
The source added that the remains of 13 Lebanese and a Syrian have been handed over to their families.
“All the remains have been identified, which rules out the theory that the attacker may have been a suicide bomber,” one judicial source told The Daily Star.
The source said the death toll from the explosion that rocked the southern suburbs at the evening rush hour last week rose to 30 after the recovery of more bodies at the blast site.
Over 300 people were also wounded in the bombing, the second to target Beirut’s southern suburbs in just over a month.
At least 50 people were wounded in a similar bombing attack in the southern suburb of Bir al-Abed on July 9.
The judicial source said authorities were now looking into whether the 60-kilogram bomb was detonated remotely or triggered by a timer.
No arrests have been made in the Aug. 15 bombing, the source added.