BEIRUT: Future parliamentary bloc leader MP Fouad Siniora said Friday two deadly car bombs in the northern city of Tripoli earlier in the day sought to provoke residents there and called on Hezbollah to withdraw its fighters from Syria.
“The bombings, from Bir al-Abed, Ruwaiss to Tripoli render our country exposed to all kinds of evildoing and crime,” Siniora said in a televised message.
“The hand that extended to Tripoli aims at pushing the people of Tripoli toward strife and [bringing] chaos to the city,” Siniora, who urged residents of the city to remain committed to the state, added.
Two car bombs outside mosques in Tripoli killed at least 27 people and wounded over 400, security sources told The Daily Star, just days after a car bomb that ripped through the Ruwaiss area of Beirut’s southern suburb killed 30 people and wounded hundreds more.
“Do the bombings aim to divert attention from what is going on in Syria and Hezbollah's involvement there or our internal conflicts which Israel is the primary beneficiary of?” Siniora asked.
“The only solution is to return to the domestic [issues] and pay attention to the country's affairs and Hezbollah's return from Syria,” the former prime minister said.
He called on Hezbollah to withdraw from Syria "because [the party] does not have an interest in staying there.”
The Future Movement MP said his party would maintain to its principles.
“We will never abandon our national unity and our defense of coexistence and we should always rise above such tremendous challenges,” he said.