BEIRUT: Lebanon’s military prosecutor extended Monday the detention of two suspects over last week’s deadly twin car bombs in north Lebanon that killed dozens of people and wounded hundreds, a judicial source told The Daily Star.
Military Prosecutor Saqr Saqr extended the duration of detention for sheikhs Abdel-Razzak Hammoud and Ahmad Gharib by two days in order to continue interrogation with them, the source said.
The move came after testimonies from the two showed conflicting information, the source said.
On Friday, two car bombs outside mosques in the northern city of Tripoli killed at least 47 people and wounded over 500, in the country’s deadliest attack in decades.
Both Hammoud and Gharib were apprehended Saturday.
Gharib’s arrest was due to his appearance in surveillance video near Al-Salam Mosque at the time of the blast. He is said to be close to Syria’s intelligence agency and considered a link between the agency and Hashem Minkara, head of the pro-Syrian regime Islamic Tawheed Movement, which is based in Tripoli.
“There are some leads that the investigating team is working on but we should not be overoptimistic,” the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.
According to the source, investigators have confirmed that the vehicle used in the blast that targeted the Al-Salam Mosque was a Ford model.
However, the source said investigators have yet to confirm the make of the vehicle used in the blast outside Al-Taqwa Mosque.
“Investigators are trying to confirm whether it was a GMC or a Renault-model vehicle, the source said.
Investigators are also trying to determine whether the cars were detonated remotely or whether timers were used, the source said.
Video footage from cameras installed near where the car bombs detonated are continuing to be analyzed, the source added.