BEIRUT: Several Lebanese and Palestinians suspected of firing a rocket into a valley in Jamhour near Baabda Palace earlier this summer have been arrested, a military source told The Daily Star Wednesday. The source said the men were arrested by Army Intelligence as suspects in connection with the June 20 rocket attack. The source did not say how many were detained in the case or when the men were arrested, but the National News Agency acknowledged that an undetermined number of people were now being questioned, by Military Prosecutor Saqr Saqr.
Al-Akhbar newspaper said Wednesday it learned that the suspects bought the rockets from the Palestinian refugee camp of Burj al-Barajneh in the southern suburbs of Beirut.
A rocket launched in June from an area overlooking Beirut hit a high-tension electricity cable in Aley that supplied 150 kilowatts from the Jamhour power station. The Army managed to disable a second rocket from being fired.
Two rocket launch pads were found in the Kesrouan town of Ballouneh, hours after the rocket attack near the presidential palace in Baabda.
In late May, the Army located launch pads on the outskirts of the Mount Lebanon village of Aitat, southeast of Beirut, that were used in a rocket attack on the Beirut southern suburb of Shiyah. Four people were wounded.
On Aug. 1, two Katyusha rockets fired overnight landed within the security perimeter of the presidential palace. The attack came on the same day the president said that the nation needed a national defense strategy to control Hezbollah’s arms because of the party’s involvement in the Syrian conflict. No one was hurt and Hezbollah condemned the attack.