BEIRUT: Qatar reversed a decision to expel five Lebanese expatriates, the National News Agency reported Monday, hours after Lebanese authorities were informed of the planned expulsions from the Gulf state.
Lebanese Ambassador in Doha Hasan Najem informed caretaker Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour that Qatari authorities had reconsidered their decision to expel five Lebanese working there.
Mansour confirmed Qatar’s recent decision without elaborating further about reasons behind the reversal.
“We were informed that a number of Lebanese were asked to leave the country within a week,” Mansour told local media.
“But I was informed today that Qatar reconsidered its decision,” he added.
Mansour also said Lebanese living in Qatar have no political affiliations, denying reports that the Lebanese in question had ties to Hezbollah.
Al-Akhbar newspaper said in a report published Monday that a number of Lebanese in Qatar were asked to leave the country and were given a period of a week or month to do so.
The report added that 30 Lebanese Shiite and five Syrians were on a list of foreign workers who would be asked to leave. Most of the Lebanese on the list had moved to Qatar in 2006 for work.
Masnour told Al-Akhbar that the government had been informed of Qatar's decision to expel them. One of the Lebanese allegedly issued bounced checks.
The Gulf Cooperation Council discussed last month a means to implement the organization’s measures against Hezbollah members in Gulf states.
The GCC has said it would take measures against Hezbollah supporters residing in the region as well as their financial transactions.