Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
SUNDAY, 20 APR 2014
07:41 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
23 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Minister to file lawsuit against killers of Tripoli children
Caretaker Social Affairs Minister Wael Abu Faour speaks during a press conference at the ministry in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013. (Hasan Shaaban/The Daily Star)
Caretaker Social Affairs Minister Wael Abu Faour speaks during a press conference at the ministry in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013. (Hasan Shaaban/The Daily Star)
A+ A-

BEIRUT: Caretaker Social Affairs Minister Wael Abu Faour said Tuesday he would file a lawsuit against the perpetrators behind the murder of children in the northern city of Tripoli, saying such senseless killing was no longer acceptable.

In a news conference, Abu Faour referred to an article published in two local newspapers with a photo showing two people in a truck including a 12-year-old killed by sniper fire.

Deadly clashes in the embattled city of Tripoli, Lebanon’s second largest city, killed 13 people since the classhes erupted last week. Among the casualties were a 16-year-old and a 12-year-old boy.

“The picture that some newspapers published showing two Lebanese children killed by sniper fire in Bab al-Tabbaneh is the reason behind the conference because such an act is no longer unacceptable,” Abu Faour said.

“As the head of the Higher Council for Childhood, I will personally file a law suit against the killing of children in Tripoli,” the minister said.

“While the perpetrator is unknown, those who give out the orders are known and there is no difference between field commanders and their bosses,” he added.

The lawsuit would be against those behind the killing of the two children in Tripoli during the clashes, in accordance with the results of the investigations. They would be punished under Article 548 of the Penal Code.

Abu Faour said there are 3,122 families living under the poverty line in Tripoli and 1,157 in Al-Mina, bringing the total number of families suffering from the ongoing clashes in Tripoli to 4,279 families.

“That is an alarming signal,” he said.

“I know very well the reason behind what is happening in Tripoli today, that is the bombings that killed 50 innocent Lebanese, but what is happening to Tripoli's children should not be allowed,” he said.

 
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Saturday April 19, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Why Israeli-Palestinian talks fail
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS