BEIRUT: The Saudi embassy has no plans to reduce its Beirut workforce following Hezbollah accusations that Riyadh was behind the deadly Iranian embassy bombing, the Saudi ambassador said in remarks published Wednesday.
“The embassy has a well-studied evacuation plan for its employees from Lebanon in the event its security is [threatened],” Ali Awad Asiri told pan-Arab newspaper Al-Hayat.
“ Hezbollah does not represent the Lebanese government,” he said, adding that the embassy’s protection is an issue coordinated with the Lebanese government.
“We depend on God and on the Lebanese government,” Asiri said.
He said the embassy, which is in contact with its citizens who were compelled to stay in Lebanon, has already taken security measures to protect the complex in the Beirut neighborhood of Qoreitem.
Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah has accused Saudi Arabia of being behind last month’s two suicide bombings that targeted the Iranian Embassy in Beirut.
Nasrallah's comments mark a sharp escalation in Hezbollah’s rhetoric.
Asiri also denied knowledge that Saudi has deported Hezbollah members.