Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
FRIDAY, 18 APR 2014
10:23 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Prosecutor charges firm over Beirut tunnel flooding
Civilians are seen trapped in their cars in a flooded tunnel on the Airport-Khalde highway, Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)
Civilians are seen trapped in their cars in a flooded tunnel on the Airport-Khalde highway, Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)
A+ A-

BEIRUT: Lebanon's financial prosecutor charged Thursday a private company with negligence and sabotage in the case of the Beirut highway flooding.

Judge Ali Ibrahim charged Middle East Airport Services (MEAS) with negligence and sabotage after failing to carry out water drainage maintenance in the tunnel connecting Beirut to the airport.

The charge came hours after caretaker Finance Minister Mohammad Safadi gave his testimony in the case before Ibrahim.

"We discussed all the issues raised by [caretaker Public Works Minister Ghazi] Aridi during his news conference and I presented all the documents I have,” Safadi said after giving his testimony.

“I answered all the questions,” he added.

Safadi also said he will not be summoned for questioning for a second time in the case.

Ibrahim launched an investigation into the case earlier this month after the tunnel flooded due to heavy rainfall, trapping citizens in their vehicles for several hours.

Aridi resigned Monday after giving his testimony to Ibrahim in the flooding case.

Aridi had blamed Safadi for the flooding, saying the caretaker finance minister refused to approve Public Works and Transportation Ministry funding to perform drainage maintenance in an attempt to pressure Aridi into endorsing illegal construction.

Safadi denied such allegations saying that they are part of a political campaign against him.

The prosecutor has also taken the testimony of officials from two private contracting companies, South for Reconstruction and MEAS, regarding the road flooding.

The questioning focused on whether the firms ignored or renewed contracts with the Public Works Ministry in 2013 to clean out the storm drains.

 
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Friday April 18, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Putin will keep rolling, until Obama says no
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS