BEIRUT: General Security said Tuesday that it had arrested three individuals believed to be part of a terrorist network planning bomb attacks and assassinations in Lebanon.
In a statement the security agency added that the three, who are Lebanese and Syrian nationals, were planning terrorist attacks.
It also said that security personnel confiscated from the suspects' possession explosive material and communication devices as well as a weapon with a silencer.
The suspects were interrogated and referred to the military judiciary under the supervision of the Deputy Military Prosecutor Judge Dani al-Zani and Military Prosecutor Judge Saq Saqr.
Caretaker Interior Minister Marwan Charbel told a local website that the suspects confessed to planning terrorist acts and that an investigation was underway.
In the statement, General Security also said it would pursue terrorist groups, mobs and networks who are involved in human trafficking.
Since July, Lebanon has witnessed three devastating car bombs in the northern city of Tripoli and Beirut’s southern suburbs. Scores were killed in the attacks and hundreds more wounded.
Last year, a car bomb killed a high-ranking security official in the Beirut district of Ashrafieh while Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea and MP Butros Harb have reported beings targets of attempted assassinations during the past year.