SIDON, Lebanon: Authorities in the Angolan capital of Luanda freed two Lebanese nationals who were kidnapped Monday night, caretaker Foreign Affairs Minister Adnan Mansour said Tuesday.
Sources close to the family of one of the Lebanese said the two were released without a ransom.
Mansour said earlier in the day he was informed by Lebanon's chargé d'affaires in Pretoria, South Africa, Ara Khachaturian, of the kidnapping of Moein Azmi Yazbek and Bilal Koteish.
Mansour asked Khachaturian to head to Luanda and work on securing the release Yazbek who is from the Tyre town of Ghaziyeh and another Lebanese.
Yazbek, 22, the owner of a restaurant in the African town, and his accountant, Koteish, were riding their motorcycles on their way home when a vehicle stopped and snatched them both.
Yazbek's father said he received a phone call from the abductors, asking him for $1 million in exchange for his son.
He also said he spoke over the phone to Yazbek, who told his father he was in good condition.
Khachaturian told Mansour that abductions of Lebanese nationals have recently increased in Angola, according to the National News Agency.
“This is the fifth incident of its kind since the beginning of this year,” Khachaturian said.