BEIRUT

Lebanon News

DNA tests on boat victims conducted: Mansour

A man hugs his relatives upon his arrival at Rafik Hariri International Airport in Beirut, Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)

BEIRUT: Caretaker Minister of State Adnan Mansour said Friday that DNA tests on the bodies of the Lebanese who drowned off the Indonesian coast last month have been conducted and the DNA matching will begin next week.

Mansour said that he was informed by Joanna Qazzi, the Lebanese Charges d'Affaires in Jakarta, that the tests were finalized and that the matching will start next week upon the arrival of professor Fouad Ayoub to Jakarta on Monday morning.

The minister said that Qazzi confirmed that the Lebanese Embassy in Jakarta is doing its best in coordination with the Indonesian authorities in order to speed up the process of identifying the bodies to enable their transfer to Lebanon no later than the end of this month.

A boat carrying around 80 migrants trying to illegally cross from Indonesia to Australia foundered off the Indonesian coast last month.

At least 26 Lebanese were drowned while 18 survived. Most of the Lebanese victims hailed from the underdeveloped area of north Lebanon, mainly from the Akkar village of Qabeet.

The 18 survivors have already returned to Lebanon.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here