BEIRUT: Three men suspected of involvement in the kidnapping of the two Turkish pilots could be released on bail given that the abducted were released, a judicial source told The Daily Star Sunday.
But the three suspects – identified as two members from the Saleh family and a third from the Zogheib family– would still have to attend their trials for the abduction charge, the source added.
The three are currently being held in the Roumieh prison on charges of involvement in the August kidnapping of Turkish pilot Murat Akpinar and his co-pilot Murat Agca.
The pilots were snatched on their way from Beirut’s airport to a hotel. A previously unknown group calling itself Visitors of the Shrine of Imam Ali al-Reda claimed the abduction, saying they would only release the pilots in exchange for the release of nine Lebanese pilgrims held in Syria.
Ten other people were charged by Mount Lebanon Prosecutor Judge Calude Karam for their suspected role in the kidnapping.
The judicial source said their release could be part of a compromise since the kidnappers released the pilots. The 10 others would also be called in to stand trial but would not be arrested, the source said.