BEIRUT: An investigation got underway Wednesday a day after three Lebanese Army soldiers were wounded in an attack on their checkpoint in Baalbek, east Lebanon.
A judicial source told The Daily Star that Military Prosecutor Saqr Saqr ordered Lebanese Army Intelligence and the Military Police to look for and arrest suspects in the shooting incident in the Baalbek neighborhood of Sharawneh.
Saqr said the stolen car used in the incident had been torched.
The Lebanese Army said in a statement that a military patrol in Sharawneh came under gunfire at 12:35 p.m. Tuesday.
It said gunmen in a speeding car opened fire on the patrol before speeding off.
Simultaneously, a military checkpoint in the same area also came under gunfire. Three soldiers were slightly wounded in the incident, the statement said.
The Army said troops returned fire and later made several arrests during raids on suspected hideouts of gunmen.
Stolen cars and a quantity of drugs were seized during the raids, the statement added. It said a manhunt is underway for other suspects.