BEIRUT: Military Investigative Judge Riad Abu Ghayda Monday filed arrest warrants for two suspects over the recent deadly car bombs in the northern city of Tripoli, judicial sources told The Daily Star.
The arrest warrants were issued for Sheikh Ahmad Gharib and informant Mustafa Houri, the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.
Ghayda also ordered the release of Sheikh Hashem Minqara on bail, they said. However, Military Prosecutor Saqr Saqr challenged the latter decision and requested that Minqara remain in detention.
Minqara will remain detained until the court of Cassation issues a decision in the case.
The three suspects, along with two Syrians who remain at large, were charged last week with the twin car blasts outside two Mosques in Tripoli which killed 47 people and wounded hundreds.
The Syrian suspects were identified as Capt. Mohammad Ali Ali, an officer in Syrian intelligence, and Khodr Lutfi al-Airouni.
Gharib and Houri were charged with tasking the two Syrians to set up a “monitoring and planning cell to carry out terrorist acts in Lebanon” while the two Syrians were charged with rigging two cars with explosives and placing them, through the help of other individuals, outside Al-Taqwa and Al-Salam Mosques in Tripoli.
Minqara, the head of a pro-Assad Islamist group in Lebanon, was charged with withholding information about the Tripoli cell’s terrorist activities.