BEIRUT: International peacekeepers in Lebanon will carry on their mission at the Blue Line even if a western military strike against Syria goes forward, United Nations Special Coordinator for Lebanon Derek Plumbly said in remarks published Thursday.
Plumbly dismissed all media reports that the U.N. Interim Force in Lebanon will withdraw its troops from south Lebanon if the United States launches an attack against Syria, according to remarks in As-Safir daily.
The U.S. has threatened to punish Assad’s regime for an alleged chemical attack outside Damascus last month.
Plumbly also said the U.N. will soon craft a five-year assistance plan for the Lebanese Army.
He hailed the efforts of Lebanon’s military in maintaining peace and stability in the country.