BEIRUT: Hezbollah and Palestinian factions called Sunday for restraint after a Palestinian man was killed during an armed skirmish near the Burj al-Barajneh refugee camp in Beirut’s southern suburb.
Hezbollah officials and representatives of the various Palestinian groups, including Fatah and Hamas, held a meeting in the wake of the brawl that also left four people wounded.
A statement at the end of the meeting said the incident was not politically motivated and stressed the need for “self-restraint and patience.”
The conferees also set up a joint committee to investigate the incident, the statement added.
A Lebanese Army force was dispatched to the scene after the 9 p.m. skirmish, a military statement said.
It said the Army restored order in the area while soldiers conducted patrols and set up checkpoints to pursue those involved in the shooting and bring them to justice.
“A dispute between Lebanese citizens and Palestinian people on the outskirts of Burj al-Barajneh camp degenerated into an exchange of gunfire, killing one Palestinian and wounding several others,” the Army said in its statement.
Local media said the skirmish broke out between Hezbollah and a group of Palestinians celebrating a wedding.
They said the brawl quickly developed into an armed clash when the wedding convoy refused to be searched by Hezbollah.
Following a devastating car bombing that killed 30 people last month in the Beirut southern suburb of Ruwaiss, Hezbollah set up checkpoints at the entrances of the suburbs in a bid to make sure no rigged cars make their way into their stronghold.