BEIRUT: Military Judge Fadi Sawwan issued arrest warrants Wednesday for three more Syrians suspected of having a connection to a failed rocket attack in June on the Hezbollah-controlled Beirut southern suburbs.
A judicial source told The Daily Star Sawwan filed the charges after interrogating the men, identified as Mohammad Kara Tahhan, Mohammad Ghayyath Kara Tahhan and Omar Dirani.
He charged them with buying and transporting rockets as well as attempting to fire them from Aramoun into the southern suburbs of Beirut, the source said.
“However the attempt failed due to a malfunction that prevented the rockets from being fired,” Sawwan wrote in his charge sheet.
Fourteen people, including Lebanese and Syrians, were charged earlier in September in the case of the failed rocket attack that struck power lines in Aley.
Military Prosecutor Saqr Saqr charged the suspects of belonging to an “armed terrorist organization" that fired a rocket toward a valley in Jamhour in June. One rocket hit a high-tension electricity cable in Aley that supplied 150 kilowatts of electricity from the Jamhour power station.
The Army disabled a second rocket from being fired.