BEIRUT: Military Investigative Judge Riad Abu Ghayda rejected Monday a request to release Sheikh Ahmad Gharib, a suspect in the case of the deadly twin bombings last month in Tripoli, north Lebanon.
Also Monday, Abu Ghayda filed a new charge against Gharib for breaching prison rules, a judicial source told The Daily Star.
The source said Abu Ghayda charged Gharib with giving statements to the media that “would mislead and derail the investigation.”
Military Prosecutor Saqr Saqr had filed charges against two Syrians and three Lebanese, including sheikhs Ahmad Gharib and Hashem Minqara as well as informant Mustafa Houri.
Saqr charged Gharib and Houri in his court documents with tasking the two Syrians to set up a “monitoring and planning cell to carry out terrorist acts in Lebanon, particularly in the north, by preparing bombs and booby-trapping cars and putting them in specific areas, including religious institutions, with the aim of killing and assassinating political and religious figures.”
Abu Ghayda released Minqara on bail last month.
At least 47 people were killed and hundreds more wounded in twin car bombings that rocked two Sunni Muslim mosques in the northern city of Tripoli Aug. 23.