BEIRUT: The Special Tribunal for Lebanon and the Lebanese government have previously overcome delays related to requests by the tribunal, STL spokesman Marten Youssef told The Daily Star Friday.
“The office of the prosecutor confirms the ongoing and the continuous cooperation of the Lebanese authorities despite delays in the past, related to some requests, which were overcome through a collaborative approach,” Youssef said.
“The prosecutor counts on the continuation of the cooperation with all the Lebanese authorities,” he added.
His comments come after a report in An-Nahar daily said that Lebanon’s Telecommunications Ministry, headed by caretaker Minister Nicolas Sehnaoui, has been deliberately stalling in meeting the demands of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon and requests to obtain telecoms data.
The report quoted STL officials as voicing concerns that the delay might allow potential changes and forgery of the needed data.
The STL is tasked with prosecuting those responsible for carrying out the 2005 attack that killed former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri and 22 others. Four members of Hezbollah have been indicted by the court, which is preparing to try them in absentia.