BEIRUT: Caretaker Interior Minister Marwan Charbel said that detailed discussions over a state security plan for the northern city of Tripoli will take place next week, according to remarks published Saturday.
“The Central Security Council will discuss the details of the security plan for the northern city of Tripoli Wednesday,” Charbel told pan-Arab Asharq Al-Awsat daily.
Caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati tasked Charbel Friday with creating a plan in coordination with the Army to maintain stability in Tripoli.
Tripoli’s plan is likely to include similar measures to those recently applied in Beirut’s suburbs.
Charbel recently supervised a security plan in the Hezbollah-controlled Beirut suburbs that deployed over 1,000 personnel from the Army, Internal Security Forces and General Security to checkpoints and patrols in the area.
The suburbs and Tripoli were recently rocked by deadly car bombs, prompting the implementation of new security plans.
Last month, twin car bombing attacks killed 47 people in Tripoli and wounded hundreds.
Two bomb attacks targeted the suburbs in July and August, killing dozens and wounding hundreds.
Charbel said that “a comprehensive plan will be prepared for Tripoli focused on three main points: security, development and reconciliation among the city’s residents.”
He added that the priority will be to ensure security for Tripoli, “because development cannot be achieved unless security prevails.”