BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Officials survey Tripoli damage

A Lebanese flag flutters from a residential building with a bullet-riddled facade due to fighting between supporters and opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in Lebanon's northern port city of Tripoli March 21, 2014. REUTERS/Omar Ibrahim (LEBANON - Tags: POLITICS CIVIL UNREST CONFLICT)

TRIPOLI, Lebanon: Lebanese officials over the weekend surveyed damage caused by the sporadic clashes in Tripoli, vowing to return normalcy to the northern city, which has been plagued by Syria-linked fighting.

The head of state-owned telecom operator Ogero, Abdel-Menhem Youssef, toured several areas in the city and reassured citizens that repairs to the disrupted telephone networks, among other renovations, would be finalized this week.

“Our purpose today was to evaluate and survey the magnitude of the damage and the needed repairs,” Youssef told reporters.

Citing preliminary survey reports, Youssef described the damage as “very extensive,” including at least 600 phone lines and 12 phone booths.

“Initially the repairs will be finalized this coming Thursday,” he said, days after security forces lead by the Lebanese Army began implementing a security plan to restore stability to Lebanon’s second largest city.

The government-approved plan, which was drafted last month by the Higher Defense Council, has seen a heavy deployment by the Army and security forces in conflict zones as well as the detention of 200 wanted suspects.

A survey team from Ogero arrived in Tripoli Friday and examined the damage in the warring neighborhoods of Jabal Mohsen and Bab al-Tabbaneh.

Youssef, who held a meeting with Ogero officials and city leaders, also toured the two areas and said citizens should be able to apply for new phone lines and Internet services by the end of the week.

The general-secretary of the Higher Defense Council, Mahmoud Kheir, also inspected the damage to tens of residential buildings, shops and other business badly affected as a result of the fighting.

He urged Tripoli residents to file for compensation, which would pave the way for the renovations to begin.

“We agreed to begin renovations along Syria Street as an initial plan, and we are asking citizens to help us so we could begin renovations in other areas,” Kheir told reporters.

“People should prepare the needed documents without any manipulation or committing fraud, otherwise they will be prosecuted."

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Lebanese officials over the weekend surveyed damage caused by the sporadic clashes in Tripoli, vowing to return normalcy to the northern city, which has been plagued by Syria-linked fighting.

The head of state-owned telecom operator Ogero, Abdel-Menhem Youssef, toured several areas in the city and reassured citizens that repairs to the disrupted telephone networks, among other renovations, would be finalized this week.

The general-secretary of the Higher Defense Council, Mahmoud Kheir, also inspected the damage to tens of residential buildings, shops and other business badly affected as a result of the fighting.

He urged Tripoli residents to file for compensation, which would pave the way for the renovations to begin.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here