BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Machnouk holds talk with Hezbollah to help border village

Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk arrives at the Baabda Palace, Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)

BEIRUT: Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk held rare talks Saturday with Hezbollah’s top security official to devise a plan to secure an exit for Lebanese living in a border enclave, saying the government seeks to distance the village from the Syrian crisis.

The meeting, chaired by Machnouk, brought together Hezbollah's Wafik Safa, the head of General Security Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim and several other Lebanese security officials.

“The meeting was aimed at drafting a practical plan to help Lebanese in the village of Tfail, which we can only reach by entering Syrian territory,” Machnouk told reporters after the meeting at the ministry.

“We want to inform the residents that we are ready to provide them with an exit from Tfail to other areas with the help of the army and security forces exclusively,” he added, saying the purpose was to “prevent the village from being caught in the Syrian fire.”

The border village has grown isolated from Lebanese territory as the only accessible road to the Bekaa Valley has been cut off and seized by Syrian army soldiers as part of the regime’s offensive to root out rebels in the Qalamoun region.

Residents in the remote town, home to 3,000 Lebanese and some 5,000 Syrian refugees, told The Daily Star Friday that the village had come under heavy bombardment earlier this week.

Machnouk said representatives of the various security agencies would meet again in the next 24 hours to contact local figures and secure a passage.

He said the government’s High Relief Committee was tasked with proving fleeing residents with “dignified” housing once they reached Lebanon.

“We agreed not to allow any armed individual enter Lebanon,” he said, referring to possible infiltration of armed groups into Lebanon during the evacuation.

Asked whether the presence of a Hezbollah official meant the government legitimatized its arms and presence in Syria, Machnouk said: “Hezbollah is part of the conflict in Syria, consequently, we cannot draft a plan as such without coordinating with it.”

“Hajj Safa expressed keenness on the safety of residents and responded positively to the plan,” he added.

Machnouk and his allies in the March 14 coalition are staunch critics of Hezbollah’s involvement in Syria and have repeatedly called on the party to withdraw.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk held rare talks Saturday with Hezbollah's top security official to devise a plan to secure an exit for Lebanese living in a border enclave, saying the government seeks to distance the village from the Syrian crisis.

The meeting, chaired by Machnouk, brought together Hezbollah's Wafik Safa, the head of General Security Maj.

The border village has grown isolated from Lebanese territory as the only accessible road to the Bekaa Valley has been cut off and seized by Syrian army soldiers as part of the regime's offensive to root out rebels in the Qalamoun region.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here