This combo shows Journalist Ibrahim Amin, left, and deputy news director at al-Jadeed TV Karma Khayyat. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir/Facebook)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Two senior Lebanese journalists were summoned Thursday by the Special Tribunal for Lebanon on counts of contempt and obstruction of justice after they published secret details about supposed court witnesses – charges that could see them imprisoned for up to seven years.The allegations are linked to two articles published by Al-Akhbar on Jan. 15 and 19 last year containing information on 32 alleged witnesses in the case, and video reports by Al-Jadeed journalist Rami al-Amin on Aug. 6-7 and Aug. 9-10 that also contained alleged witness details.Al-Akhbar also published last year a list of 150 alleged witnesses that was disclosed on a mysterious website that has since been taken down, but the court has not publicly charged the newspaper over that incident. The court has never acknowledged whether the details are accurate, but said it nevertheless undermines public confidence in the tribunal's work. The court has accused five members of Hezbollah in the case.
U.S. threat spurred Syria bid to control Lebanon, STL told
ICRC ready to help with Lebanese hostage negotiations
Jabal Mohsen bids farewell to fallen sons
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE