File- Hezbollah's deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem speaks in front of students at the LU in Hadath. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)
BEIRUT: Conditions are still not conducive for holding the presidential election, Hezbollah's deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem said Wednesday after Parliament failed again to vote for a new president.
“It was clear that the first session was a farce, indicating that the circumstances are not suitable for electing a president," Qassem said. "This means that there would be no use of a second, third or fourth session if the situation remains as it is."
Parliament failed for the second time in consecutive weeks to elect a president as the Loyalty to the Resistance and the Change and Reform blocs obstructed the quorum.
The quorum for the last session was secured in last week’s session but the March 8 allies casted 52 blank ballots, while the March 14 candidate Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea got 48 votes with another 16 votes goring towards MP Henri Helou and one for Kataeb leader Amin Gemayel.
Qassem said that his group boycotted the session to ensure that "no plots" are carried out and "we are suprised by things that may not be in harmony with the mechanism to elect a new president.”
The Hezbollah official also said that the best way to elect a new president would be “by consensus.”
“The nature of the country and its sectarian system do not allow one group to choose a president ... so the best way to elect a president is to reach an agreement,” he said.
“Agreements are usually reached outside the session or prior to the session to reach mutual conditions,” Qassem said.
“The president should enjoy a popular base ... he should not challenge others but work towards finding common ground and solutions.”
Hezbollah to March 14: Aoun or vacuum
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Conditions are still not conducive for holding the presidential election, Hezbollah's deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem said Wednesday after Parliament failed again to vote for a new president.The quorum for the last session was secured in last week's session but the March 8 allies casted 52 blank ballots, while the March 14 candidate Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea got 48 votes with another 16 votes goring towards MP Henri Helou and one for Kataeb leader Amin Gemayel.The Hezbollah official also said that the best way to elect a new president would be "by consensus".
Hezbollah to March 14: Aoun or vacuum
Hezbollah fighters and Syrian army troops launched fresh attacks Saturday on the southern Qalamoun city of Zabadani,...
The Lebanese Forces and Kataeb Party remain firm allies, the leaders of both Christian groups said Thursday,...
Hezbollah and the Syrian army Friday struck at militant positions inside Zabadani at the southern end of Qalamoun, a...
Lebanese groups are currently in wait-and-see mode as U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Iranian Foreign Minister...
A presidential poll among Christians to reveal which candidate had the most support for the presidency is...
Lebanese Forces chief Samir Geagea welcome his presidential competitor MP Michel Aoun’s initiative for electing a new...
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE